A Guide to GST and GST Certification Course
In 2017, the taxation system of India embraced a new outlook when after 17 years of long journey GST Act finally passed in the Parliament and soon executed. To be more specific, GST or Goods and Services Tax came into effect on 1st July 2017. If you are intrigued to find more about GST and GST Course, then read the complete article. It will enlighten you about the critical aspects of GST.
Let us proceed in a step-by-step manner to go easy on the comprehension part. Beginning with what GST is, we will talk about its types and features. Followed by this, we will have speculations about the GST course and how it can benefit you.
What is GST?
As we know, GST stands for Goods and Services Tax, it is the unified tax levied by the Government on the sale purchase of Goods and Services. The new multi-stage tax regime replaced the former cascading effect of innumerable taxes such as VAT, excise duty, luxury tax, sales tax, and a lot more.
The consolidated brunt of all these taxes impacted the consumer as the prices skyrocketed. To deflate this excessive burden and corruption of taxes- GOI found their best bet with the GST bill that has already been embraced in a140 countries.
Types of GST
Broadly, GST is divided into four types:
- SGST or State GST
The State Government levies SGST tax on the sale of intra-state Goods and Services. The collected tax revenue goes to the state in which the sale is made.
- CGST or Central GST
The Central Government of India levies CGST on the sale of intra-state Goods and Services. The tax revenue goes straight to the reservoir of the Central Government. CGST is levied beside SGST or UGST.
- IGST or Integrated GST
The integrated GST is applicable on the sale of Goods and Services- both import and export. The collected revenue is shared with equity between Centre and State. What that means is, if the applicable GST is 18%, 9% goes to the Centre, and the other 9% goes to the state.
- UGST or Union Territories GST
The twin sister of SGST, UGST levies on the sale of Goods and Services in the Union territories of India such as Delhi, Chandigarh, Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Features on GST
The main features of GST are:
- Replacement of 17 taxes at Central/States level.
- Consumption-Based Tax.
- One tax, one nation
- Supply of Goods and Services
- Comprehensive tax on the sale of Goods & Services
- No tax-on-tax structure
- Free flow of credit
- Value Addition at each stage
What is GST Course?
GST Course with certification equips you with in-depth knowledge about GST as tax reform and other GST-related activities. Apparently, enrolling for one of the best GST courses is your first baby step towards becoming a GST Practitioner.
Many top-rated institutes are offering GST courses from basic to advanced levels. These courses strive to empower you with the following core concepts with few additions or subtractions depending upon the course level:
- Taxation system
- Genesis and overview of GST
- GST Registration
- Tax Payment under GST
- Supply of Goods and Services
- Time, place, and value of supply
- GST laws, rules, regulations, and penalties
- Input Tax Credit
- GST invoice
- E-way Bill
Skills Associated with GST
Following are the sharp and valuable skills associated with GST:
- Hands-on experience in curating financial statements, accounts, and taxes
- Advanced analytical and logical reasoning skills
- Effective Problem-solving skills
- Strong Communication skills
- Influenecial Interpersonal skills
- Skilled in using MS Office Suites such as MS Excel, PowerPoint, and others!
Who should opt for GST Course?
Possessing GST knowledge is the need of the hour for finance professionals, accountants, businessmen, and students yearning to build up a career in the finance industry.
Most specifically, the following people should enroll for GST course:
- Finance working professionals
- Chartered Accountants
- Company secretaries
- Cost Accountants
- Graduates or freshers with commerce background
- MBA professionals
- Tax consultants
You may want to read this article on Finance and Accounting: What’s the Difference
Why you need a GST Certification?
Whether you are a working professional or a student, acquiring a GST Certification will help you along the lines of professional growth. As per the Naukri.com survey, 67% of recruiters prefer certified professionals for specific job roles.
Here are some of the definite reasons to tell you why you should go for a GST Certification:
- Every organization or company sought-after certified GST professional.
- As almost every organization-small, medium, or big abides by the GST regulations; they hire expert GST professionals to look after tax matters.
- GST is one of the topmost in-demand skills.
- Updated GST knowledge accounts for a hike in salary (on an average of 15-25%) and leads to promotions.
- As GST is one of the most sought-after skills in the finance industry, acquiring GST skills will encourage career growth and development.
GST is the game-changer in the finance industry and throughout the nation. It is like a double-edged sword that may prove beneficial or fatal- depending upon how you leverage it. As a person belonging to the finance industry or aspiring to approach the same- GST acquisition should be on the top of the cards.
I hope all this cognizance about the GST and GST course helps you head your way ahead towards your goals.