How to become an ISP in India
To become an Internet Service Provider in India, you need to obtain a lot more than an ISP License. As an ISP’s job is to provide customers with internet access via various technologies such as dial-up, DSK, cable modem, wireless or optical fibres, you need to take care of infrastructure matters and legal matters at the same time.
When it comes to ISP license in India, the biggest challenge you’ll face is getting the initial capital. That capital won’t only cover the infrastructure of your service centre, but will also be the part of the ISP License cost. Therefore, before you start an ISP in India, it’s imperative that you read through the points that we are about to show to you.
Things you need to consider for starting an ISP in India
Before you even sign the ISP License agreement to get authorization to provide internet in India, you need to take care of the following matters:
- Equipment and Infrastructure: Find out the best equipment that suitable for the scope of services that you want to provide through your ISP.
- Internet Network Bandwidth: We live in a age of 5G, thus, you need to have an internet bandwidth that combines high speed and high data.
- Cooling and power sources: Without cooling, the equipment you’re going to use to provide internet services won’t stabilize. And without power source, you can’t provide your services. Thus, invest in the best cooling and power sources for your ISP.
Once you’ve dealt with the infrastructural requirements of starting an ISP, it’s time to get legitimate by taking care of ISP License in India.
How to obtain ISP License?
After you’ve handled the infrastructural matters and have reached out to telecom service provider whose bandwidth, you’ll resell to your internet subscribers, you can start the process of ISP Licensing. Following are the steps:
- Decide the ISP category that you want to provide: There are three categories of ISP and depending on the scope of their services, the ISP License fee for each of them varies greatly.
- Category A is the pan India ISP
- Category B is the state-wise ISP
- Category C is the SSA ISP
- Incorporate a company: Incorporate your ISP business as a business entity called a private limited company. If your scope is wide enough, and you’re financially capable, you can even opt for a public limited company.
- File the UL ISP License application: Go online and file the application for unified license for ISP. The documents that you’re required to attach with the application are as follows:
- Certificate of incorporation
- Memorandum of Association
- Articles of Association
- List of company directors
- List of shareholders
- Net worth of the company
- Description of services
- Demand Draft of the ISP License fee
- Obtain the letter of intent: If the Department of Telecommunication accepts your application, you’ll obtain a Letter of intent. In that letter, you’ll be given the amount that you have to submit for financial bank guarantee, performance bank guarantee and entry fee along with the date until which you need to make the deposit.
- Read More License: BEE Certification
- Fulfil the directions of the letter of intent: Submit the deposit and send the proof of the same to the DOT.
- Get the ISP License: Obtain the ISP registration for your ISP and get into a contract with a telecom service provider for bandwidth.
Taking care of both legal and infrastructural matters is important to setup an ISP in India. If you’ve any queries regarding this business, consult with Registrationwala.